What Do I Need to Know About Getting Braces as an Adult?
Tips on Braces as an Adult
Adult orthodontics is a growing trend – today nearly one in four orthodontic patients is an adult. But what should you know before getting braces as an adult?
Everett, WA – Silver Lake Orthodontics proudly serves patients of all ages. Whether you are 7 or 67, the process to move your teeth is the same, so it’s never too late to seek out orthodontic treatment. However, there are some things our adult patients should know prior to beginning treatment.
- Treatment times can be longer for our adult patients than for our younger patients. This is for a few reasons. The first is because older patients don’t have the benefit of a jaw that is still growing. While that doesn’t prevent orthodontic treatment, it does make it a tad more involved. Older patients may also have additional issues, such as periodontal disease, that can make treatment more complex to complete.
- Treatment time can be longer because treatment is more involved than in our younger patients. If your issue is due to a discrepancy in jaw growth, you may require jaw surgery to get the smile you want. At your initial consultation, we’ll discuss everything that you need to know to understand the steps that will be needed to complete your treatment.
- You don’t have to worry about drawing more attention to your smile during treatment. We know that our older patients may not love the idea of wearing a mouth full of metal. But don’t worry – we have more treatment options than ever before. From clear braces to Invisalign to lingual braces, we have the option to help you get the smile of your dreams without drawing more attention to your issue.
- Orthodontic treatment can improve your oral health. Many people think orthodontic treatment is only cosmetic, but it’s benefits go far beyond that. Crooked and misaligned teeth are harder to keep clean, increasing your risk of cavities and gum disease. But you’re also more at risk for teeth to chip, crack and break due to the uneven amount of pressure that is placed when you bite down. Orthodontic treatment can straighten your smile and perfect your bite, thereby improving your oral health.
- Orthodontic treatment is more affordable than you may think. Many people avoid treatment because they think it is too expensive, but that’s simply not the case. And, when the issues a bad bite can cause are added up over time, you may actually be saving yourself visits to the dentist.
- Orthodontic treatment is worth it. Your smile says so much about who you are, and if you’ve spent a lifetime hiding yours, there’s no time like the present to change that.
Silver Lake Orthodontics is here to help you get the smile of your dreams, and ensure you have a stable, healthy bite. Call our office today at 425-278-4400 for your complimentary consultation.